How-To Series: Perfect Your Outdoor Space
Summertime is hot — really hot — in Nashville, but we still find ourselves wanting to spend every chance we get on our porch or one of the patios in town. A good patio can be fun even on the hottest day, but it's all about the amenities that make it really enjoyable. Here are some of our favorite must-haves for an outdoor space (plus some ways that you can incorporate our 1767 pieces into your porch or patio decor).
- Comfortable seating. Whether you're creating a secluded space or hoping to use your patio for hosting get-togethers, comfortable seating is a must. We're loving these affordable IKEA chairs for smaller spaces, or a sectional with deep seating for larger spaces.
- A space for dining. Even if you don't have the room for a complete dining set, you can still dine al fresco with a small side table or one of our 1767 coffee tables.
- Mood lighting. If you plan on hanging out on your porch at night, you'll need the right lighting. We love stringing bulb lights around the edges of a porch, but you can also switch out your existing light fixture with something sleek and modern just like you would inside. Finish things off with hanging lanterns or scented candles (bonus if they also ward off mosquitos).
- Plants. There's nowhere in (or out) of your home that doesn't benefit from plants. You might plant some vegetables in large pots to use when cooking at home (use this guide to know when to plant which kinds), or just plant your favorite houseplants outdoors in sturdy ceramic or terra cotta pots. If you're lucky enough to have a wall or trellis, you can also add climbing vines.
- Outdoor textiles. Once you have the basic set-up of your outdoor space together, you can add the finishing touches to really personalize things. Black and neutral cushions look great against dark or natural wood furniture, but we also love cushions and pillows with bold patterns like palm leaves or Turkish designs.