Cleansing the atmosphere, creating a vibe – whatever you call it, sometimes a room just needs it. We're big believers that a clean space is key for getting to work or getting creative, so we've found lots of ways to freshen up a room and make it feel bright and airy. Here are a few of our favorite ways to cleanse a room (or your whole home).
- Smudging. Smudging involves burning a thick bundle of dried herbs, such as sage or cedar. In order to disperse the scent and the cleansing smoke around the room, many people wave it through the air or walk with it through their home.
- Palo Santo sticks. Similar to smudge sticks, Palo Santo sticks are great for cleansing the energy in a room. The sticks are taken from Palo Santo trees in South America, and when you burn them like incense, it creates a really calming, fresh-smelling smoke.
- Candles. Sometimes all it takes is the glow of a candle to instantly make a room feel cozy and a little mysterious. We like to light a few musky scented candles when we're sketching out new design ideas.
- Open it up. We're all about openness when it comes to feeling inspired, so if you're feeling a little stifled in your office or bedroom, try clearing away clutter and getting rid of any bulky furniture that you don't need.
- Essential oils. If you're the type who prefers something with a longer lasting scent, ditch the store-bought air freshener and invest in a diffuser. These devices create a steady stream of water vapor when you fill them with water and essential oils, and depending on which oils you choose, they can even help with lots of different ailments. Try diffusing a nice jasmine oil if you're feeling stressed or lavender if you want to relax before bed.